Web Links

May 2, 2024, 2:35 pm UTC    
April 01, 2024 04:55AM
Byrd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> since these are (apparently) not
> uncommon fossils, nobody would be in a hurry to
> document them or excavate them.

Well, yes: dugong remains aren't uncommon - for instance, they were found near the Red Sea, as linked in my previous post: although, on re-reading the link, it didn't seem clear whether the comments were about fossils, or contemporary skeletons.

In any case, it appears that it's not known:

(a) what sort of dugong fossil has been found at the base of the GP - metaxytherium? [en.wikipedia.org] ? some other kind ?? - and

(b) whether this is the sole instance of this particular fossil on the Giza plateau; in which case, might there be, or have been, others as well?

(c) could the possible presence of the fossil be important (unsuspected ??) evidence of a change in climate and/or geology at Giza at some point in the remote past? would that tie in with the nummulites, or would it not?

Etc. etc. etc.

So, it could be very important. The problem is that the evidence at the moment seems to consist solely of photographs in a blog post: and, really, I imagine that investigations by accredited palaeontologists would have to be undertaken before any further research into the fossil.

And, as you've just pointed out, the situation concerning any investigations at Giza at the moment is not a simple one.

Hermione
Director/Moderator - The Hall of Ma'at

Rules and Guidelines

hallofmaatforum@proton.me
Subject Author Posted

Fossil dugung at base of great pyramid - I need more information, please

Paul H. March 31, 2024 01:05PM

Re: Fossil dugung at base of great pyramid - I need more information, please

Hermione March 31, 2024 03:24PM

Byrd March 31, 2024 04:55PM

Hermione April 01, 2024 04:55AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login