Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 3, 2024, 12:51 am UTC    
June 24, 2023 12:23PM
Pistol Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I was unaware Ottomans were Egyptian,

They occupied Egypt for a time (see below).

I guess
> you’re going to tell us the Rosetta Stone was a
> gift and not plunder,

It was spotted by an enterprising French officer during the French invasion, and turned over to the French Institute just set up in Cairo by Bonaparte. It was subsequently confiscated by the English in 1801.

heck the bulk of the British
> Museum’s collection (endeavors of Belzoni)

The British Museum:

... first opened to the public in 1759, in Montagu House, on the site of the current building. The museum's expansion over the following 250 years was largely a result of British colonisation ... [en.wikipedia.org]

must
> have been gifted too while England was plotting to
> carve up the Middle East for the next 100 years.
> My point was vague … but intended to illustrate
> how the world has plundered the historical
> artifacts of Egypt for thousands of years, this
> has an impact on the minds of Egyptians in todays
> world, highlighting why they’re pushing back.
>
> Modern Egypt formalized in the 1950’s after
> British troops occupied the country for 70 years
> from 1882 on. Lest we forget the British invasion
> that Ali stopped early in the 19th century.

At the beginning of the century, when Egypt was still part of the centuries-old Ottoman Empire, it was invaded by the army of Napoleon.  The subsequent departure of the French forces resulted in a long, tortuous and blood-drenched tussle for power between three groups – the Egyptian Mamelukes (who held political and military power), the Ottoman Turks, and Albanian mercenaries who had formerly been in the service of the Ottomans.  Eventually, the Albanians emerged as victors; [203] at their head was one Muhammad Ali (1769-1849), a former commander in the Ottoman army, who, despite speaking only a limited amount of Turkish in addition to his native Albanian, became Pasha and Viceroy of Egypt.

[203] Not without a good deal of bloodshed.  In March 1811, Muhammad Ali massacred some 400 or 500 Mamelukes trapped in Cairo (Searight, S., Waghorn Letter Book for 1840, 1997: 230 n. 5).

Stower, Martin; Coburn, Jean. The Strange Journey of Humphries Brewer: Witness to a Forgery in the Great Pyramid? Part 1: Investigating the Legend

Hermione
Director/Moderator - The Hall of Ma'at

Rules and Guidelines

hallofmaatforum@proton.me
Subject Author Posted

Stolen obelisks?

Hermione June 21, 2023 03:58AM

Re: Stolen obelisks?

Pistol June 24, 2023 10:40AM

Re: Stolen obelisks?

Hermione June 24, 2023 12:23PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login