Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

April 26, 2024, 12:21 pm UTC    
January 21, 2023 02:58PM
I revisited a paragraph published by Mark Lehner in "The Complete Pyramid: Solving the Ancient Mysteries" (Thames & Hudson, London 1997) ...it's found under the rubric; Tombs and Temples, p. 20, and provides his thoughts on what a an Egyptian pyramid is:

(review of each sentence in the paragraph sequentially)

"In fact, each pyramid [generally] ensured the rule of universal order, the turning of the days and seasons, and the flooding of the Nile".

The use of the word "ensured" in my opinion should be changed to "confirmed" or perhaps "guaranteed" which are variants of the word. I'm not entirely sure of the source material to support this statement as he doesn't site any, and I'm left to believe it's his >opinion< since I'm unaware of any artifacts on record that state this concept from the pyramid age (Old Kingdom-Middle Kingdom).

Lehner continues:

"The mechanics of the pyramid as cosmic engine depended on the Egyptians concept of a person and the distinct phases of life and death, called Kheperu".

The first part of this sentence states that the mechanics (functional aspects?) of a pyramid as a COSMIC ENGINE was dependent on the Egyptian concept of a person. I'm completely lost on this description by Lehner, in my opinion he's stating that the pyramid was a cosmic engine (???), my understanding of the Egyptian concept of a person is professed by Egyptologist John Allen: "One of the major components in the Egyptian concept of an individual was the shadow (shut; swt), along with the body, the ka (k3), and the ba (b3), and the name" ("The Ancient Gods Speak - A Guide to Egyptian Religion", p. 334-335, rubric; Shadow, (Oxford Univ. Press, NY 2002). Again Lehner's application of this concept to the mechanics of a pyramid appear to be his romantic opinion rather that fact, but that these mechanics also rely on "distinct" phases of life and death, called Kheperu" is not exactly clear...

I have not looked hard for it but I can't find the Egyptian word for Kheperu, which describes the distinct phases of life and death associated with or during the pyramid age of Egyptian history, if anyone here has a link that would be greatly appreciated. I'm drawn to my own thoughts concerning Khepri in place of Kheperu in the concept of rising but here again I think Lehner is again employing creative license of his opinions without providing any sources to substantiate the claim that the Egyptian concept of a person and Kheperu describe or illustrate the mechanics of a pyramid.

Lehner continues:

"These transformations continued when the ka, the ba and the body, which had become separated at death, interacted in the final transformation - becoming an 'akh,' a glorified being of light, effective in the afterlife".

Lehner only uses 3 components of the five that make a person to describe the transformation, which I guess is what he calls Kheperu, somehow mechanically (inside the cosmic engine [pyramid]) culminated in another transformation (final) to become an 'akh', a glorified being of light that's effective in the afterlife. So far these three sentences equate the pyramid to have ensured universal order and that it mechanically created a glorified being of light to be effective in the afterlife?

Lehner continues:

"The pyramid was an instrument that enabled this alchemy to take place for the pharaoh, who had ruled as the god incarnate, and allowed that incarnation to pass from father to son; from Osiris to Horus..."

Here Lehner states the concepts described in the previous three sentences where the alchemy that took place for the pharaoh, that his incarnation allowed and exhibited the incarnation which was passed down from father to son; from Osiris to Horus. again I'm at a loss for this statement or claim because I am unable to confirm or find anything on record that supports it, some would say the pyramid texts provide amble evidence in support of this but those verbal incantations are actually the ritual mechanisms not pyramidal mechanisms... and pyramid text only appear at the very end of the 5th dynasty... they do not exist prior to Unas, it's more likely PT's were an evolution of mortuary ritual that replaced older ritual practices.

Finally Lehner ends with:

"The pyramid is better understood as the meeting point of life and light with death and darkness".

So everything he wrote above is collectively contained in a pallet cleanser here.... very poetic but entirely an opinion, no factual evidence to support the claim.

Now I'm not attacking Lehner here, I'm pointing out the weakness of this claim of what a pyramid is, I find it entertaining but that's all, it's not something supported by other theorists, in fact taken on the whole is reminds me of an "ancient aliens" episode.

Best,

B.A.Hokom

just for those who would like to read it in its entire composition:

'In fact, each pyramid [generally] ensured the rule of universal order, the turning of the days and seasons, and the flooding of the Nile. The mechanics of the pyramid as cosmic engine depended on the Egyptians concept of a person and the distinct phases of life and death, called Kheperu. These transformations continued when the Ka, the ba and the body, which had become separated at death, interacted in the final transformation - becoming an 'akh', a glorified being of light, effective in the afterlife. The pyramid was an instrument that enabled this alchemy to take place for the pharaoh, who had ruled as the god incarnate, and allowed that incarnation to pass from father to son; from Osiris to Horus... The pyramid is better understood as the meeting point of life and light with death and darkness".
Subject Author Posted

Lehner's description of a Pyramid

Pistol January 21, 2023 02:58PM

Re: Lehner's description of a Pyramid

Hermione January 21, 2023 06:20PM

Hans_lune January 22, 2023 12:36AM

Pistol January 29, 2023 01:53PM

engbren January 30, 2023 06:40AM

Pistol January 31, 2023 10:25AM

Hermione January 31, 2023 12:34PM

Pistol January 31, 2023 01:03PM

engbren January 31, 2023 07:35PM

Pistol January 31, 2023 10:04PM

Pistol February 04, 2023 12:48PM

Pistol February 04, 2023 12:56PM

Byrd February 04, 2023 05:28PM

engbren February 05, 2023 09:10PM

Corvidius January 27, 2023 06:22AM

Pistol February 17, 2023 10:43PM

Byrd February 06, 2023 01:20PM

Pistol February 06, 2023 10:24PM

Hans_lune February 07, 2023 10:59AM

Byrd February 07, 2023 11:05AM

Hans_lune February 08, 2023 10:34AM

Ahatmose February 07, 2023 06:49PM

engbren February 08, 2023 02:03AM

Pistol February 10, 2023 11:07PM

engbren February 13, 2023 05:37AM

Pistol February 11, 2023 12:19AM

Ahatmose February 14, 2023 09:18PM

Pistol February 15, 2023 03:17PM

Hans_lune February 16, 2023 05:32PM

Pistol February 16, 2023 10:25PM

Pistol February 17, 2023 10:38AM

Byrd February 17, 2023 12:44PM

Pistol February 17, 2023 10:02PM

Pistol February 17, 2023 10:10PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login