Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 19, 2024, 7:58 am UTC    
September 22, 2020 02:18AM
Okay I have read the replies and looked through the links, and yesterday I afterwards searched and read on the Journal of Merer in the Jarf papyri, and I read the updated info on Khufu's reign in the Wikipedia article on Khufu.

For Khufu's reign length I now have all these suggestions:

63 yrs (Manetho)
50 yrs (Herodotus)
"46 yrs" (one modern orthodox cattle-count theory?)
41-58 (32-34 + 4-5 + 5-10 to finish pyramid)
32-34 yrs (Great Pyramid inscription taken as biennial cattle-count)
26/27 yrs (Dakhla inscription taken as bienniel cattle-count)
24/23 yrs (Turin King List)
24-29 yrs (17 + 4-5 + 5-10 to finish pyramid)
20 yrs (building pyr Herodotus, Hemiunu's tomb as bienniel)
17 yrs (Great Pyramid & relieving chamber inscription inscription taken verbatim)
?16 yrs (Lepsius lithograph at Dahshur)?
15 yrs (Hemiunu's tomb as bienniel)
14/13 yrs (Dakhla inscription & Merer/Jarf papyrus taken verbatim)
10 yrs (building pyr ramp Herodotus)
8-10 yrs (Hemiunu's tomb).

Of the above the only ones that are contemporary records and not later sources are:
17 yrs (Great Pyramid & relieving chamber inscription inscription taken verbatim)
?16 yrs (Lepsius lithograph at Dahshur)?
14/13 yrs (Dakhla inscription taken verbatim)
8-10 yrs (Hemiunu's tomb).
These are uncertain whether bienniel cattle count or annual.

The highest year is 17 but this is doubted because Petries' and Hawas' are said to not be able to be found.
So the conventional view is that the next highest year 14 is the highest.

As far as I can see it is not definite that Petries' and Hawas' inscription didn't exist, though it is doubted.

If the 17 yrs inscription existed then it could match exactly with Jacob's 17 yrs since it is not certain that it was a bienniel cattle count. The match with Jacob's 17 yrs might also support the 17 yrs inscription having existed.
If the 17 yrs didn't exist (which is not definite) then Khufu's highest year is 14 though he could have reigned more, and it could still match Jacob (since it is not certain it is a bienniel cattle count) but it wouldn't be as an exact strong a match.
Herodotus' 10 & 20 yrs might be connected with the 13/14 & 17 years (rounded off).
Other than the possible 17 yrs match there are also a number of other matches between Khufu & Jacob, like for example their similar names have exaclty the same meanings. There are also quite a few evidences for Joseph having been in the 3rd-4th dynasty.

I couldn't see anywhere that said the Merer/Jarf papyrus has evidence pinpointing Khufu's reign to 2483.
There are the carbon dates Chris Tedder cited, but I myself do not think that carbon dating is reliable for various evidences reasons.

As to the suggestion that Khufu son of Sneferu can't match Jacob son of Isaac, the answer is that some conventional sources admit that Sneferu is only "most possibly" Khufu's father "or stepfather". "We believe that Khufu was the son of Sneferu".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2020 02:20AM by ealdred.
Subject Author Posted

Khufu's date (split from Atlantis)

ealdred September 21, 2020 01:07AM

Re: Khufu's date (split from Atlantis)

Hermione September 21, 2020 02:57AM

mstower September 21, 2020 03:38AM

ealdred September 22, 2020 02:18AM

Hermione September 22, 2020 07:34AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login