Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

April 27, 2024, 9:13 am UTC    
April 18, 2020 05:07PM
Can't do any actual travel at the moment so I've been looking back at photos of some of my trips to Egypt. One of my favourite  things to do when I stayed at Luxor was to hire a bicycle in Luxor and then cross the Nile on one of the local ferries and spend a day cycling around the sites and walking the paths in the Theban Hills.

Here's some photos from one such cycle and walk in 1992.

My route always started with an easy ride across the flood plain past the Colossi of Memnon and then heading north if I wasn't visiting Medinet Habu. In 1992 I continued on past the Ramesseum and further on to Hatshepsut's Mortuary Temple. I then visited the less well known Mortuary Temple of Seti I at Qurna.

I then returned to Deir el-Bahri and left my bicycle and took a steep path that takes you up the cliffs until you can look down on Hatshepsut's and Mentuhotep's temples (not recommended if you suffer from vertigo).

I continued on the path until I could begin to see the cliffs and valleys that eventually give you a view into the Valley of the Kings itself.

The entrance is the unfinished tomb of Prince Mentuherkhepshef a son of Ramesses IX.

Tutankhamun’s tomb is in the centre with the much larger entrance of Ramesses VI’s behind.

I returned via a different route that took me up to el-Qurn the peak at the Western end of the Valley. Looking East I could see the Ramesseum and the road where I'd started my ride and just visible the Colossi of Memnon with the Nile beyond.

Subject Author Posted

A trip to the Theban Hills

Jon_B April 18, 2020 05:07PM

Re: A trip to the Theban Hills

Hermione April 19, 2020 06:05AM

Re: A trip to the Theban Hills

Byrd April 23, 2020 01:47AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login