Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 12, 2024, 6:27 am UTC    
Lee
December 24, 2007 12:34PM
Anthony wrote:

<<In fact, it would be culturally inappropriate to have them made of different granites, but that's another topic all together.>>

Where precisely does the idea come from that the sarcophagus and burial chamber have to be made from the same granite, or from granite at all?

For the record, let me note that it cannot be true of later assemblages, as Lucas describes the following sarcophagi as being made of “brownish yellow quartzite:

1. Thutmose I (?)
2. Thutmose II
3. Haptshepsut
4. Thutmose III
5. Amenhotep II
6. Thutmose IV
7. Tutankhamen

ROYAL SARCOPHAGI (Lucas, Ancient Egyptian materials and Industries, 418. As these are 18th Dynasty kings, it is perfectly clear that not a one of them was interred in a brownish yellow quartzite burial chamber.

Earlier, then?

Pepi II

Both the antechamber and the burial chamber had saddled roofs of heavy limestone. In both rooms were the Pyramid Texts decorated the walls while the ceiling was covered with stars. At the farthest end of the burial chamber, the sarcophagus made of black granite had the king´s titles and a false door.

Sheseskhaf

Both these chambers [burial chamber and magazine] were built in pink granite and the ceilings were vaulted. The only thing found in the burial chamber was fragments of a dark basalt sarcophagus.

Sekhemkhet

Sarcophagus: Alabaster.

Userkhaf

There was an entrance on the north side, from a court. A sloping passage led south to a storeroom, an antechamber and the burial chamber. Both chambers were lined with white limestone. The ceilings of them are lined with big limestones and entrance to them was originally blocked with a portcullis of pink granite. The empty sarcophagus was of black basalt with no decorations.

Quasi-Contemporary?

Khafre:

As any photograph will show, the sarcophagus is of dark granite and is counter-sunk into the floor of a chamber that is clearly not made of dark granite.

Menkaure:

Sarcophagus lost, but chamber of pink granite and sarcophagus described as being pf “dark basalt,” i.e., clearly not the same material as the chamber.

I have made utterly no attempt to be exhaustive here, nor even more than vaguely chronological. I am interested only in some documentation of the claim you have made vis-a-vis these construction materials.

Lee
Subject Author Posted

"the same granite"

Lee December 24, 2007 12:34PM

Re: "the same granite"

MJ Thomas December 24, 2007 03:24PM

C Wayne Taylor December 24, 2007 04:00PM

MJ Thomas December 24, 2007 06:07PM

Lee December 24, 2007 08:41PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login