Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 13, 2024, 5:14 am UTC    
June 25, 2007 05:41AM
Well, the main reason for this post is to ask people whether or not I should buy Baines and Malek's Atlas of Ancient Egypt which is for sale in a local book shop.

Also, to inform Jon B and others that the Dendera Zodiac is indeed accessible at the Louvre, as I was lucky enough to get into Salle 12bis last Friday.

This did require me to argue with the guards for about 5 minutes, and explain that I'd been there 4 times trying to see it. They finally let me into a closed off section where some guy was doing work on the area - or something. I get the impression they don't really want people seeing it much.

I also took a 20 photo sequence of the whole zodiac with my new 5 Megpix digital Nikon, and was very pleased to see it. It is much higher in detail than any of the diagrams or photos on the net show - and some of the detail is fine and well preserved, probably because it was on the underside of the ceiling at Dendera. There is some damage, although nothing in any crucial location, and the accompanying diagram on the wall was top notch.

Unfortunately, when I got home, I managed to lose all the photos, including the Zodiac ones (ugh) 130 in all....as I was installing the new software. I have, however almost got over the shock now...almost.

Anyway, no doubt Jon B will be able to take a better sequence of shots photography wise, as mine were affected by the varying brightnesses of the spot lights shining on the various parts of the zodiac. At least we know its there and accessible now.

As recompence, here's a photo of the world's finest head of Cleopatra from the newly renovated Hunterian Museum at the Uni of Glasgow. She certainly doesn't look 'ugly' to me, which is what antiquarians have always claimed. That probably stems from Roman propaganda more than reality.

Its slightly fuzzy because its magnified and was taken through glass, not because it was a bad photo or camera.

Anyway, Baines and Malek?

Buy or not?

Dave L

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2007 05:47AM by Dave L.
Subject Author Posted

Egypt - various points

Dave L June 25, 2007 05:41AM

Re: Egypt - various points

Chris Tedder June 25, 2007 07:46AM

Dave L June 25, 2007 09:11AM

Graham Chase June 25, 2007 10:30AM

Chris Tedder June 25, 2007 02:52PM

Dave L June 26, 2007 05:35AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login