Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 4, 2024, 5:31 pm UTC    
August 12, 2005 01:02PM
I've been seeing alot of talk about hurricanes increasing or becoming more powerful. Last night, my area (the New Mexico/Arizona border) was utterly sacked by a tremendous tropical storm. We get tropical storms here every year, called the monsoon season, but this one was huge. There was intense lightning and a huge amount of rain dumped down. When I say huge, I mean HUGE. I live in the Window Rock, AZ/Tse Bonito, NM area and it is cut through by several small canyons called arroyos. Some are about 6 feet deep, the larger ones are about 20 feet deep. Yesterday afternoon, the largest arroyos breached their banks and at least one bridge was washed out entirely. The local newspaper and several other businesses including gas stations were flooded. There are people still trapped in their homes today because of the damage.

The entire area is in shock. True, there has been a drought out here that has lasted several years but this was incredible. People were pulling off the roads everywhere to snap pictures of the torrential arroyos and just gape. Considering the reactions, this kind of storm was not normal...

Here's just one shot of the many that are flying around in everybody's emails today. We recorded a movie ourselves of the waters. Keep in mind, the arroyo pictured in this shot is 20 feet deep and this was after it had already surged over its edge. You can see the tops of trees poking out of the water.

[img271.imageshack.us]

Stephanie

In every man there is something wherein I may learn of him, and in that I am his pupil.--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2005 01:02PM by Stephanie.
Subject Author Posted

"Are Hurricanes Increasing? Ask A Georgia Pine Tree"

Paul H. August 11, 2005 08:25AM

Re: "Are Hurricanes Increasing? Ask A Georgia Pine Tree"

Stephanie August 12, 2005 01:02PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login