Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 18, 2024, 5:09 pm UTC    
April 29, 2005 04:55PM
Its all too easy to criticise the ID/creationist lot. They are apparently (and sometimes obviously) blinded by their faith.

So lets examine the science behind randomness. Of course there is nothing I can say that is different from what the good scientists IN THESE AREAS OF KNOWLEDGE say. But there is a massive disconnect with the general attitude that filters down.

Most people on the street would say that tossing a coin in the air is something that would result in a "random" result. And they would be correct from their perspective, and even from statistical mathematics. In pure stats the fact that the more times you throw the coin, the closer you will get to a 50/50 probability, is a fairly good indication of randomness. Strange as that may seem. But in reality we know that what makes it seem random is the massive complexity behind what is actually happening. We can kind of imagine that the flick of the thumb had dynamics that would surely shape the result. And we can imagine that there may be a wind passing that would affect the dynamics of the coin. We could even be dilligent and assume a kind of understanding of all the particles within the medium of the air the coin passes through, all their motions and all the effects of each particle as it interacts with the particles of the coin. And then there are the properties of the surface of the coin. Any slight dent or indentation of any kind will no doubt affect its motion. And if the last person to hold it had some oil on their fingers that would also affect its motion. Etc etc etc.

So now we have a process of evolution, that happened over billions of years, in an environment where energy manifests in different ways in space and time. And we don't have even the first clue what space or time or energy are. We don't even need to go into the whole natural selection and landscape shaped evolutionary forces to realise we are like little children scratching the surface of reality.

So I say a pox on both your houses. To creationists and ID'ers I say stop having such a weak faith that you want to make science something its not meant to be. And to believers in science as truth I say get real and wake up and smell the coffee of our ignorance. If you think of a monkey, millions of neurons fire in your brain and you have an image of a monkey. There was no deterministic process there that fits your neat little, and I mean little, world view. Your will affected processes that should according to science be deterministic. So suck on that and stop this arogant assumption that science has ultimate power to comprehend. Science is a process that should not assume "god did it" at any point. But to then rule god out when the process is based on ignoring gods ultimate causation of it all, is plain folly. A misunderstanding of the very shoulders upon which science has its power in the first place. And before anyone replies that sciences power is in its process, I agree completely with that. But a process is just a process, even if its a healthy process, thats where the fatal error occurs.

Simon
Subject Author Posted

"Random" Selection

Simon April 29, 2005 04:55PM

Re: "Random" Selection

Dave L April 29, 2005 06:07PM

Simon April 29, 2005 06:33PM

Dave L April 29, 2005 09:37PM

John Wall April 30, 2005 03:33AM

Dave L April 30, 2005 12:28PM

Both of you...

lobo-hotei April 29, 2005 11:05PM

wirelessguru1 April 29, 2005 07:47PM

Joanne April 30, 2005 06:47AM

darkuser April 29, 2005 07:05PM

Simon April 29, 2005 07:15PM

wirelessguru1 April 29, 2005 07:58PM

wirelessguru1 April 29, 2005 08:10PM

Moderator observation

Mercury Rapids April 30, 2005 05:17AM

Re: Moderator observation

wirelessguru1 April 30, 2005 01:30PM

darkuser April 30, 2005 02:28PM

Mercury Rapids May 01, 2005 06:34AM

Simon May 04, 2005 05:50PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login