Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 25, 2024, 8:50 pm UTC    
August 09, 2005 04:16PM
Ahh, this will get the "gaming is evil" people going, lol. Seriously though, online gaming can become very seriously addictive. As an online gamer myself, I know all too well about it. In old gamer lingo, it's called "twitch" gaming. I was a twitch gamer several years ago but not nearly as bad as some that I have known. My longest gaming stint was about 36 hours, stopping only for a few minutes to grab a bowl of rice krispies, some pepsi or answering the call of nature. I was very good at that particuliar game, but I soon realized that no matter how good I was at it, it just didn't mean anything in "real life". I'm a reformed gaming addict now. I still play online games but only a couple times a week. Depending on the circumstances, it could be for a couple hours during my daughter's nap time or 6 hours if I'm given a break (like getting a babysitter to go out except you don't go out! lol). Sometimes, I don't play for a week to a a few months. grinning smiley

Some that my husband and I have known, however, really had serious backlashes to their lives because of online gaming--divorce, loss of job, failing grades--you name it, it happened. One friend was so addicted to an online mmorpg that my husband had to regularly check on him every week because the man wouldn't feed himself, shower, or even go out to buy himself a pack of cigarettes...and he was a serious smoker. Kind of tells you something about how addicting gaming can be if it can outweigh a chemical addiction.

Gaming should be done responsibly. It shouldn't affect your personal life to extremes. There is infinitely more important things than whether or not you just killed a couple hundred other players in a 30 minute round or whether or not you reached lvl 65 and have the latest and greatest equipment...

Stephanie (whose only game right now is World of Warcraft eye rolling smiley )

In every man there is something wherein I may learn of him, and in that I am his pupil.--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Subject Author Posted

Man dies after 50 hours of online gaming

Peski August 09, 2005 03:44PM

Re: Man dies after 50 hours of online gaming

Stephanie August 09, 2005 04:16PM

MikeS August 10, 2005 08:12AM

Stephanie August 10, 2005 03:43PM

cicely August 10, 2005 04:15PM

Stephanie August 10, 2005 06:08PM

MikeS August 11, 2005 07:36AM

Stephanie August 11, 2005 02:47PM

darkuser August 19, 2005 07:43PM

cicely August 19, 2005 10:32PM

Stephanie August 22, 2005 03:16PM

darkuser August 19, 2005 07:46PM

Stephanie August 22, 2005 03:18PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login