Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 5, 2024, 2:58 pm UTC    
July 18, 2005 12:49PM
The Shiprock Flea Market is located just off of Highway 491 (old 666). We arrived there on a Saturday, around 10 am. It seems to have a later start than the Window Rock flea market as there were still people setting up even at this late hour. It is on a fenced dirt patch just off the road and parking is somewhat limited. Walking through there can be a little on the dusty side so you might think twice before wearing sandals.

There is a slightly different variety of things that can be found at this flea market in comparison to the Window Rock flea market. The Window Rock flea market can be more of a true "flea" as you'll have to walk by stand after stand of yard sale type of items in order to find the artisans tucked in between. The Shiprock flea market, although smaller, seems to have a larger percentage of craftsmen--especially jewelry makers. We didn't see any kachina makers at all and only a couple of potters (one was a Jemez potter).

The jewelry sold at the Shiprock flea market can be alot higher priced than what could be found at the Window Rock flea market. There is a heavy profusion of larger pieces being sold here including squashblossoms and very large and heavy turquoise/coral strands. Prices ranged from about $5 for simple turquoise earrings to over $300 for a turquoise squashblossom. We picked up two simple turquoise and shell necklaces (one blue, one green) that were slightly heavy for $50. Artisans may be willing to bargain down. I listened to a Navajo man and a jeweler bargaining back and forth about the price of a silver and turquoise watch. She dropped the price from $225 to $150 but no further. He wanted it for $125 because he needed money for gas to get back home and she refused. If you plan on going to pick up jewelry, bring alot of cash as there are no credit card machines and checks aren't usually accepted.

Another very interesting thing at the Shiprock flea market is the availability of traditional and post-contact traditional foods. Alkaan (puberty cake) and blue corn bread were also sold there as well as yeast breads, santo domingo bread and so on. All can be had for very inexpensive prices. We picked up small styrofoam cups of freshly made warm blue corn mush for $1 that were excellent and spent about 5 dollars on 3 circles of blue corn bread and three slices of alkaan.

The tastes of the true traditional foods is an unique experience because they are so very different from what we eat on a regular basis. Blue corn mush tastes a little bit like a strong flavored popcorn, has a texture similiar to Cream of wheat, and a beautiful dusty blue color. Alkaan is sold in slices and is a moist, caramel colored, and slightly sweet cake. The sweet flavor is not a sugary flavor at all but similiar to fruit juice flavored health foods. Raisins are often found in it today but are a recent addition. Blue corn bread is a dry bread and is shaped like a cookie. Charcoal in color, it has a gritty texture and strong corn flavor. I'll emphasize again, the flavors of these foods are very unique. I'd suggest buying just a couple pieces or a small serving to sample them before buying a bunch.

I'd highly suggest the Shiprock flea market for the opportunity to purchase these foods, which aren't seen nearly as often at the Window Rock flea market. The prices for the jewelry are slightly higher but one is still paying far less than what the same pieces would be sold for online or in a showroom.

Stephanie

In every man there is something wherein I may learn of him, and in that I am his pupil.--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Subject Author Posted

Shiprock, NM Flea Market

Stephanie July 18, 2005 12:49PM

Re: Shiprock, NM Flea Market

Hermione July 19, 2005 03:50AM

Stephanie July 19, 2005 11:18AM

Hermione July 19, 2005 02:13PM

Stephanie July 20, 2005 12:03PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login