Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 20, 2024, 10:39 am UTC    
Lee
June 24, 2005 12:14PM
Stephanie,

It's not quite the same thing, but if you go to Rome and observe the local tribe you'll see that their culture has been vastly altered by products introduced from the other direction -- particularly, of course -- the TOMATO (all bow down) and chocolate; and don't forget pasta from the Chinese. They could have left Zucchini behind IMHO, but we’d still have it here, I guess. There’s no special point here except to note that the influences of the new world and old worlds have, in certain areas, perhaps most notably food products, been reciprocal.

What is strange to me is that corn, so important in North/Native A diets, has never caught on in Europe. I was able to get some lovely corn on the cob while living in Berlin (American military Commissary I could use because my dad was Army), but German friends turned their noses up pretty far. I guess the one exception re: corn that I can think of is North Italy where polenta is a regular part of the diet, but from what I can figure they don’t use just plain corn as a vegetable either.

I wonder, by the way, whether the demand for wool is being filled by NZ and Australia. New Zealand seems to be the preferred source for carpets being made in India, Pakistan and China. But that’s been true for a while, and the prices are just falling now? Is there some particular product this wool is most used for? You mention rugs. Does you grandmother sell to buyers who are looking for a particular grade and type of wool which is suddenly less fashionable?

Lee
Subject Author Posted

Connecting cultures from the past to the present

Stephanie June 23, 2005 05:08PM

Re: Connecting cultures from the past to the present

kenuchelover June 23, 2005 07:39PM

Stephanie June 24, 2005 03:10AM

Hermione June 24, 2005 09:09AM

Stephanie June 24, 2005 11:08AM

Lee June 24, 2005 12:14PM

kenuchelover June 24, 2005 03:25PM

Hermione June 24, 2005 04:21PM

Lee June 25, 2005 08:43AM

kenuchelover June 25, 2005 05:03PM

Stephanie June 27, 2005 12:44AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login