Naadaathu nattalir kaedillai nattapin
Veedillai natpaal pavarku.

English translation:

II. WEALTH

II.6 chapter on Friendship

Chapter. 80 Investigation in forming Friendships

Kural 791

To make an untried man your friend is ruin sure;
For friendship formed unbroken must endure.
As those who are of a friendly nature will not forsake (a friend) after once loving (him), there is no evil so great as contracting a friendship without due inquiry.

my understanding:

There is nothing wrong in befriending with a person before investigating about him, but once have become friends, it is not right to investigate a friend.

other kurals:

Kural - 792
Alliance with the man you have not proved and proved again,
In length of days will give you mortal pain.
The friendship contracted by him who has not made repeated inquiry will in the end grieve (him) to death.

my understanding:

One has to know very well before committing to friendship. otherwise it will only bring some sarrows.

Kural - 793
Temper, descent, defects, associations free
From blame: know these, then let the man be friend to thee.
Make friendship (with one) after ascertaining (his) character, birth, defects and the whole of one's relations.

my understanding:

In order to know about a person, analyse and understand it from his character, his family background, his weaknesses, and his long term friends/relations

Kural - 794
Who, born of noble race, from guilt would shrink with shame,
Pay any price so you as friend that man may claim.
The friendship of one who belongs to a (good) family and is afraid of (being charged with) guilt, is worth even purchasing.

my understanding:

If someone is from a good family background and he is afraid (ashamed) of doing "wrong things", then he is worth even pay to get his friendship (do anything to be his friend).

Kural - 795
Make them your chosen friend whose words repentance move,
With power prescription's path to show, while evil they reprove.
You should examine and secure the friendship of those who can speak so as to make you weep over a crime (before its commission) or rebuke you severely (after you have done it) and are able to teach you (the ways of) the world.

my understanding:

You should be friends with (by analsying) a person who can (capable of) point out your mistakes (be critical about them) even by making you cry.

Kural - 796
Ruin itself one blessing lends:
'Tis staff that measures out one's friends.
Even in ruin there is some good; (for) it is a rod by which one may measure fully (the affection of one's) relations.

my understanding:

even if things go wrong, there is good thing out of it, for young people, that, it becomes the measure of what you do or who you are.

comment: here he specifically mentions "young people", may be because he means that once you grow old, you should have stopped (or reduced the frequency of) letting things go wrong. smiling smiley

Kural - 797
'Tis gain to any man, the sages say,
Friendship of fools to put away.
It is indead a gain for one to renounce the friendship of fools.

Kural - 798
Think not the thoughts that dwarf the soul; nor take
For friends the men who friends in time of grief forsake.
Do not think of things that discourage your mind, nor contract friendship with those who would forsake you in adversity.

my understanding:

Do not think of things that would make your heart "small", and do not be in friendship with those who will make you do such things.

Kural - 799
Of friends deserting us on ruin's brink,
'Tis torture e'en in life's last hour to think.
The very thought of the friendship of those who have deserted one at the approach of adversity will burn one's mind at the time of death.

Kural - 800
Cling to the friendship of the spotless one's; whate'er you pay.
Renounce alliance with the men of evil way.
Continue to enjoy the friendship of the pure; (but) renounce even by giving a gift, the friendship of those who do not deserve your friendship

Subject Author Posted

Natpaaraithal (Investigation in forming Friendships)

premalatha balan May 23, 2005 05:42AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login