Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 6, 2024, 8:54 pm UTC    
April 03, 2005 12:13PM
Oooooooo!!! Don't tempt me, prema! lol smiling smiley

I had forgotten that Buddha also had long ear lobes. Kind of shameful for me to forget since I have several buddha statues in my home. Face Palm I find intentional deformation for beauty purposes to be curious. If you think about it, even wearing pierced earrings is an example of deformative beauty. On the Navajo reservation, you can still see cradleboards being sold at the various flea markets and sometimes, see babies affixed to them still. Cradleboards, I think, are fairly common throughout Native American tribes (the materials vary) but for the Navajo, the cradleboards sold presently are made of flat planks of wood affixed together with leather ties to bind a baby to it. The usage of such a cradleboard does have some effect on skull shape. What I haven't figured out is whether or not the slightly altered headshape is desirable or whether it just is a side effect that is overlooked because of how helpful cradleboards once were to the mothers (in carrying on the back while working or being able to suspend the baby safely from harm while doing the same).

Stephanie

In every man there is something wherein I may learn of him, and in that I am his pupil.--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Subject Author Posted

Traditional ear jewels of Tamil women

premalatha balan April 01, 2005 09:10AM

Re: Traditional ear jewels of Tamil women

Stephanie April 01, 2005 01:36PM

premalatha balan April 01, 2005 02:53PM

Stephanie April 01, 2005 05:48PM

premalatha balan April 02, 2005 12:56PM

Stephanie April 03, 2005 12:13PM

Lee April 04, 2005 09:55AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login