Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 6, 2024, 6:08 pm UTC    
March 27, 2005 02:58PM
When I went to China in 1989 individual travel was discouraged and I had no option but to travel on a group Visa complete with a Chinese Guide.

I hate being part of a group and always prefer to see things on my own but it was the only way to do it. Foreigners even had a special currency although you would get ordinary Chinese notes as change. Our guide pleaded for any tips to be in Dollars but asked us not tell his boss.

We visited all the expected places in Beijing:

Postcards could be sent from your hotel reception but I had a letter for a Chinese resident I wanted to post while I was in Beijing. The hotel wouldn't take it and said I would have to go to a Post Office.

So one afternoon I 'escaped' from the Group and Courier and headed off into Beijing. I found a Post Office and joined a queue. I showed the letter and was given a stamp which I paid for. I licked the stamp and attempted to stick it on the envelope but it fell off. I tried again without success.

I was at a loss what to do but when I looked around I noticed an orderly queue in front of a small ledge against the wall. Sitting on the ledge was a pot of glue complete with a brush. Relieved I joined the queue and eventually glued the stamp to the envelope and posted my letter.

I continued my walk along footpaths teaming with people. Crossing the road was tricky as thousands of bicycles sped past in a seemingly never ending stream. I had a look into a wonderful shop selling traditional Chinese brushes, palettes and papers for calligraphy. Further up the street I came across an interesting looking building with a steady flow of people coming in and out. I decided to have a look inside:

No one took any notice of me and I wondered about until I passed an open door with a man on a bed in obvious distress. It was only then that I realised that I was in a hospital and my presence was obviously intrusive.

I headed quickly for what looked like the nearest exit and found myself in a building site for a new part of the hospital. A young patient seemed amused at my presence:

Eventually I found myself in an area off the main streets and I wondered about totally lost. The locals seemed friendly and after some time I did find my way back to my hotel:

Six months later I saw the hospital again, but this time on television. Young students, covered in blood, were being carried in from just around the corner at Tian An Men Square...

Jon B

www.egyptarchive.co.uk

Subject Author Posted

Coming unstuck in Beijing and other adventures

Jon_B March 27, 2005 02:58PM

Re: Coming unstuck in Beijing and other adventures

Ritva Kurittu March 27, 2005 03:04PM

John Wall March 27, 2005 03:07PM

Ritva Kurittu March 27, 2005 03:08PM

darkuser March 28, 2005 10:35PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login