Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 9, 2024, 3:01 pm UTC    
February 05, 2005 04:20PM

Once or twice a year I visit Bangkok for a few days and meet up with my Thai friend Thew (that's not him by-the-way).

He takes it as a matter of honour that he will organise activities that will suit my interests (art, architecture, ancient sites etc etc) and his interests (eating as often as possible).

Three years ago he suggested visiting a museum but would not elaborate.

We took a taxi and headed north from Bangkok for about an hour until we reached a modern building set in an area of gardens. A sign announced "The Museum of the Human Image."

I was still unsure what to expect as we entered. Inside a few people sat around in what seemed to be an office with a bored looking young woman sitting behind a desk. On some seating in the corner one man was asleep and another was reading the newspaper.

It didn't look a bit like a Museum and I was unsure what to do. I wondered if there was some Thai custom that I was expected to obey (in some Thai Museums with Buddhist imagery you have to take your shoes off). I looked at Thew who was grinning from ear to ear. It was then that I realised I was in a Thai style Waxworks and the figures in front of me were all models.

As we proceeded around the corner to the galleries things got more serious with a series of models of famous Thai monks and Buddhist thinkers.

Further on there were a few historical 'dioramas' and finally a section on the Thai Royal family who are held in great respect. Here's Thew standing in front of a figure of the "Princess Mother" who was a great favourite in Thailand before her death fairly recently.

The museum didn't seem to be on the normal tourist trails as it was aimed mostly at Thais (I was the only Westerner) but it was well worth visiting and the models were excellent. And being Thailand it also had an outdoor restaurant so Thew was happy.

Jon B

www.egyptarchive.co.uk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2005 04:31PM by Jon_B.
Subject Author Posted

The Museum of the Human Image

Jon_B February 05, 2005 04:20PM

Re: The Museum of the Human Image

John Wall February 05, 2005 04:29PM

Jon_B February 05, 2005 04:39PM

John Wall February 05, 2005 04:58PM

Ritva Kurittu February 05, 2005 05:37PM

John Wall February 05, 2005 05:46PM

Jon_B February 05, 2005 06:21PM

John Wall February 05, 2005 06:25PM

Jon_B February 06, 2005 07:23AM

John Wall February 06, 2005 08:20AM

Joanne February 06, 2005 10:47AM

Jon_B February 06, 2005 11:06AM

John Wall February 06, 2005 11:26AM

Jon_B February 06, 2005 02:35PM

John Wall February 06, 2005 03:16PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login