Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 9, 2024, 3:52 am UTC    
January 27, 2005 08:29PM
This last weekend, my husband and I went to visit family for his grandmother's birthday on the Navajo reservation. After it was over, we thought we'd pop by the Navajo Zoo there so the kids could take a look at the animals. This is an old fashioned zoo, where you can stand about 3 feet away from the wild thing on the other side, seperated by a chain link fence. It's really great for children because it's one place where they can see eye to eye with a mountain lion instead of using some sort of binocular. Anyways, while we were there, we noticed that the Zoo employees had built a new structure. Previously, there was just a hogan built within the zoo that people could enter and look around. This hogan is a typical hogan, round with an open center roof. The new structure, however, was much different. It looked like several thin logs were propped against each other and then covered with dirt. I managed to find a picture of a similiar hogan on the net, located here.

I hadn't seen this style of hogan before so I pointed it out to my husband. He recognized it and said that it was sometime's called the "Men's hogan". He likened it to be kind of a hunting shack and also added that if a man was sent to stay in there, he was in the doghouse with his wife.

Thought I would share this interesting little building with you all. I think alot of people see the log cabin style hogan and think that's all there is really. Apparently, that's the "woman's hogan", lol. smiling smiley

Stephanie

In every man there is something wherein I may learn of him, and in that I am his pupil.--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Subject Author Posted

Women's hogan?

Stephanie January 27, 2005 08:29PM

Re: Women's hogan?

Katherine Reece January 27, 2005 08:36PM

Re: Women's hogan?

Stephanie January 27, 2005 10:24PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login