Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 21, 2024, 12:08 am UTC    
November 15, 2005 02:09PM
My husband and I watched "Christmas in the Clouds" last night and really enjoyed it. The theater was pretty empty, as it was a Monday night, but there were a few other people watching the film as well. I really enjoyed the movie because it seemed to try to show the different personalities that are just as much present in native cultures as others. My husband has had many experiences where people whom he has conversed with over the phone being surprised to floored that he is native american once they meet him. Alot of people have an image of what a "native american" is like--broken english, stoic and whatnot. In "Christmas in the Clouds", you get to see portrayals of what native americans can really be like today.

The cast of characters (mostly native) are all examples of the different personality types that you'll find on a reservation as well as some of the things that do happen in places of employment here as well. You have the hostess of the hotel, who appears to be an overly coiffed, conservative woman and yet has this thing to read romance novels (with cute little representations of what she is reading interspersed in the film). You have the punkrocker, the single/working mothers who have nowhere to take their children but to work, the old man who loves to mess with tourists, and so on. It's a great film and very funny. If we had seen the movie on a Friday night as opposed to a Monday night, I could easily imagine lots of giggles from the women and just laughter all around.

The problems that Tom Vahle, who plays the general manager of the resort, faces are real issues. Other places in the US, you might not expect to find children in an office setting. Out here, it happens, lol. It's just funny to see all put on film. This is a lighthearted, romantic comedy. The major difference is predominantly native cast and cultural themes. Christmas in the Clouds is rather like Smoke Signals as it portrays native americans today just as they are. People. smiling smiley

I would really love it if anybody on this board decided to go see this movie would post what they thought of it here. My husband and I really enjoyed it but that could be because we live in that sort of environment. I'd like to see if it really crosses cultures. smiling smiley

Hee hee, forgot to put the link in for the movie's website: [www.christmasintheclouds.com]

Stephanie

In every man there is something wherein I may learn of him, and in that I am his pupil.--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2005 02:14PM by Stephanie.
Subject Author Posted

Christmas in the Clouds

Stephanie November 15, 2005 02:09PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login