Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 21, 2024, 7:50 pm UTC    
October 04, 2005 11:26AM
We just watched Nobody Knows the other night and it was a truly powerful film. It is Japanese with subtitles and is directed by Hirokazu Koreeda. It is a story that is based on a true story. Unlike other movies that are also based on true stories, this one actually tones down the truth. The film gives us a look at one of the ongoing problems of child abandonment in Japan but not from the point of view of adults. The children in this movie are the primary characters. Yƻya Yagira plays the eldest son, Akira, and he does a magnificent job portraying a boy who is thrust into the position of primary caregiver and provider for his three younger siblings when he really just wants to be a child. He does such a magnificent job that he became the youngest actor to receive the best actor award at the Cannes film festival. Each of the children do a beautiful job at playing their parts. The most hauntingly memorable is the acting by Momoko Shimizu (Yuki), a little girl. It is very hard to watch this film and remember that it is a movie and you're watching young actors and actresses. The acting is very convincing and, imho, it is possibly one of the most emotionally powerful films ever made.

I heavily suggest this film, though with a warning--if you're depressed, don't watch it. There are moments where the movie becomes simply too painful to watch. I wanted to walk away from it several times but found myself still in my seat, simply unable to get up. As I said, the true story behind it was far worse and, considering how painful the movie already is, I cannot blame the director for altering it. If you do watch this movie, have ample tissues nearby. The movie is so powerful and heartbreaking that I've been fighting tears just writing this post...and not too well!! sad smiley

Stephanie

In every man there is something wherein I may learn of him, and in that I am his pupil.--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Subject Author Posted

Nobody Knows (Dare mo shiranai)

Stephanie October 04, 2005 11:26AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login