Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 21, 2024, 5:26 pm UTC    
September 08, 2005 01:02PM
I'm writing a book and already have severe publisher and literary agent interest thankyou very much (just in case anyone starts firing suggestions).
It is my intention to write a short piece of fiction to prepare the reader for the data thats about to follow in each chapter.
This is the short story part from chapter three.
I thought there would be a few people here more than anywhere else that would treat it with respect and give an honest opinion on the ideas that it raises rather than post it somewhere that i know 75% + of posters are hostile to new ideas

Enjoy

"building symmetry"
The man sighed and scratched his head, “he’s decreed what now?” he asked his friend. “Well” he replied. “He and the other gods are missing the views that they got used to from being up in the mountains, so they want us to build them another one right here so they can see over everything they own. The priest has already asked for a temple to put on the top for his services and the Lord of the Air said “that’s a great idea, make it a shrine for me and then I’ll spend most of my time there making it easier for you to serve me””.
“Inanna preserve us,” said the man, “he’s really helping isn’t he. He doesn’t want us to build it out of rock does he”. His friend replied, “no its ok, don’t worry. He said we could use thousands and thousands of mud bricks if it’s easier for us. He wants unbaked bricks faced with baked bricks bound together with tar and then painted. He wants the courtyard whitewashed the lower stage brushed with black bitumen; the top has to be red brick and the highest shrine painted blue like the sky. And then he wants three Staircases up one side.”
“oh well” said the man,” we’d best do as he says then.”

The man sighed and scratched his head, “he’s decreed what now?” he asked his friend. “Well” he replied. “The chief said that the gods are missing the other world that they came from and the big villages, so they want us to build them another one right here so they can see over everything they own. The priest has already asked for a temple to put on the top for his services and the God of the Air said “that’s a great idea, make it a shrine for me and then I’ll spend most of my time there making it easier for you to serve me””.
“Xochiquetzal preserve us,” said the man, “he’s really helping isn’t he. He doesn’t want us to build it out of rock does he”. His friend replied, “no its ok, don’t worry. He said we could use thousands and thousands of mud bricks if it’s easier for us. He wants unbaked bricks faced with baked bricks bound together with tar and then he wants it rubbed with colours so that it looks like the earth and sky. And then he wants a Staircase up one side.”
“oh well” said the man,” we’d best do as he says then.”

The man sighed and scratched his head, “he’s decreed what now?” he asked his friend. “Well” he replied. “He and the other gods are missing the temples that their other children built for them, so they want us to build them another one right here so they can see over everything they own. The priest has already asked for a temple to put on the top for his services and the God of the Sky said “that’s a bad idea, It’s too far to walk up there everyday put it at the bottom and make it a shrine for me and then I’ll spend most of my time there making it easier for you to serve me””.
“Isis preserve us,” said the man, “he’s really helping isn’t he. He doesn’t want us to build it out of rock does he”. His friend replied, “Guess?”
“Oh no you’re joking surely, that will be hard going and it’s going to take forever”.
Well replied his friend “he laughed and said, “To save time, you can forget the damned staircase””
“Oh well that at least is something I suppose,” said the man,
“Wait. you haven’t heard the best bit yet, “ replied his friend
“I’m dreading this what else haven’t you told me?” asked the man
“He said he doesn’t want it painted, he wants it faced” answered his friend
“Faced with what?” asked the man turning pale
“Guess?” said his friend
Subject Author Posted

Oh no I'm writing a book

Marduk September 08, 2005 01:02PM

Re: Oh no I'm writing a book

Ritva Kurittu September 12, 2005 01:52AM

Marduk September 12, 2005 06:51AM

Mercury Rapids September 12, 2005 08:06AM

Marduk September 12, 2005 09:50AM

darkuser September 13, 2005 08:15PM

Marduk September 13, 2005 09:58PM

isis-999 September 12, 2005 07:14PM

Marduk September 13, 2005 09:58PM

darkuser September 13, 2005 08:28PM

Marduk September 13, 2005 09:57PM

darkuser September 15, 2005 01:21PM

Marduk September 15, 2005 02:37PM

darkuser September 15, 2005 04:36PM

Marduk September 15, 2005 06:27PM

darkuser September 15, 2005 08:09PM

Marduk September 15, 2005 10:15PM

Katherine Reece September 15, 2005 10:59PM

Marduk September 16, 2005 05:08AM

Stephanie September 16, 2005 11:01AM

Warwick L Nixon September 16, 2005 02:05PM

Stephanie September 16, 2005 02:50PM

Warwick L Nixon September 18, 2005 10:12AM

Marduk September 16, 2005 03:02PM

Warwick L Nixon September 18, 2005 10:13AM

Marduk September 18, 2005 10:43AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login