Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

April 29, 2024, 12:38 am UTC    
February 14, 2005 03:45AM
Agreed. France and England are both playing well below par for the players they have.

Bernard Laporte is lucky to still have his job -- I don't think anyone understands why he starts Delaigue and keeps Michalak on the bench, and there is a lack of cohesion in the whole squad. Traille is not being used at all, which is bizarre for one of his capabilities, and I don't recall Dominici being released once in the England game. As a bit of a Francophile, I find myself very disappointed. When did France last concede a try in the first half of a Six Nations game?

England were more cohesive this week, but they through the game away with some inane infringements around their own ten yard line. I think Ellis justified his selection, but was hampered by painfully slow service from rucks. It also looked to me as if their game-plan relied on them having a goal kicker, and they stuck to it even when it was clear, early on, that Hodgson was misfiring badly. I don't think Barkley can be faulted for his misses as he was only given the kicks that Hodgson didn't fancy. Nice to see Martin Corry back.

Wales have self-belief at last, which is great. I'm beginning to get the same feeling as I did the last time I went to Arms Park (my God -- I've just realised that was 30 years ago!). Admittedly, they've not had good opposition to really test them (England were truly awful last week), but they have some formidable players.

The Irish must still be favourites for the trophy, especially with France playing as poorly as they are, and for the fact that they play France at Lansdowne Road. Again, they were more cohesive this week, and the absence of Darcy and O'Driscoll was hardly noticed, not that the opposition tested them much.

Italy at last have a competitive side, especially in the forwards. I think they have to play more 10-man rugby and use the backs primarily for defence if they are to beat anyone but Scotland.

As for Scotland, they will be lucky to win anything except the wooden spoon; but their time will come, I'm sure -- but it'll be a few years before they'll "be the nation again". They have maybe three players of true international class, of whom Patterson is outstanding, but mis-placed (although there aren't any other obvious options for fullback); he just can't influence the game as much has he could at, say, fly-half.

--

Stephen
Subject Author Posted

rugby at Twickenham : France 18 England 17

Robert LaFrance February 13, 2005 02:30PM

Re: rugby at Twickenham : France 18 England 17

Dave L February 13, 2005 02:41PM

Stephen Tonkin February 13, 2005 04:12PM

Dave L February 13, 2005 06:09PM

Robert LaFrance February 13, 2005 02:50PM

Spin Translation

Warwick L Nixon February 13, 2005 02:53PM

laura February 13, 2005 03:57PM

Stephen Tonkin February 13, 2005 04:15PM

Re: rugby Union at Twickenham : France 18 England 17

MikeS February 14, 2005 08:56AM

Robert LaFrance February 13, 2005 08:27PM

Stephen Tonkin February 14, 2005 03:45AM

Pete Clarke February 14, 2005 04:01AM

Warwick L Nixon February 14, 2005 10:21AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login