Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 19, 2024, 6:25 pm UTC    
September 20, 2001 08:51AM
<HTML>Lets say Bin Laden follows this directive and leaves Afghanistan and then hands himself over to authorities in Pakistan. If he stands trial for the crimes he is purported to have committed (responsibility for the WTC bombing in 1993, the embassy bombings in Kenya and Sudan, the USS Cole bombing in Yemen and the most recent terrorist attacks in the US) is there sufficient evidence that can link him specifically to them?

I'm not saying he wasn't responsible as it seems almost certain that he is the only person that could have organised and ordered these terrorist acts but currently we seem to have only circumstantial evidence to link him with any of them.

Okay I know he's as good as publicly admitted the embassy bombings but is that evidence even admissable to a court of law? Its not like its a signed confession is it? Can the CIA footage of hijacking suspects seen leaving a meeting with Bin Laden be accepted as evidence under international law? If he is tried for these crimes he will have as good a defence council as can be expected - just how likely is it that his involvement can be proven without written or audio records to implicate his guilt?

I suspect that Bin laden could have far more to gain by handing himself over now and the US backed coalition as much to lose. If he did I wonder if the attacks on Afghanistan would be cancelled or as is now being said they are suggesting there are additional objectives for the planned strike.

Any thoughts?

Duncan</HTML>
Subject Author Posted

Bin Laden asked to leave Afghanistan

Claire September 20, 2001 03:36AM

Bin Laden 'urged to quit Afghanistan'

Claire September 20, 2001 03:43AM

Re: Bin Laden 'urged to quit Afghanistan'

Derek Barnett September 20, 2001 05:21AM

The Statement from the Clerics

Katherine Reece September 20, 2001 08:25AM

Re: The Statement from the Clerics

Duncan Edlin September 20, 2001 08:51AM

US rejects Bin Laden ruling

Claire September 20, 2001 10:18AM

Re: US rejects Bin Laden ruling

Katherine Reece September 20, 2001 10:27AM

Garrett Fagan September 20, 2001 03:55PM

Katherine Reece September 20, 2001 05:23PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login