Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 4, 2024, 12:49 pm UTC    
September 18, 2001 07:01PM
<HTML>While the shock caused by September 11th outrage is still with us the any
reflection about the fact as to why so many people dislike America and some positively HATE it lasted only for about couple of days and were quickly drowned by enthusiastic flag waving and eager anticipation of the
retibution. While I do understand that it migh be quite natural to be pariotic
or even jingoistic in times like this I still feel that the great opportunity to rethink the course of the US foreign policy has passed us by. Once more we will deal with the effects without ever touching upon the causes and again once present crisis is over at least some Americans will wake up and wonder "Why do they hate us so"???
Now I was thinking about it for quite some time and I have finally come to the conclusion that winning the "war" against international terrorism by using purely military means is quite an impossible task. Unless the Coalition is prepared (and it isn't) to wipe out about the quater of the world's population the conflict started in such a noble causes will either be a pure public relation excercise or it will deteriorate to the savage guerrilla warfare as terrible as those in Vietnam or Checznia or Afganistan during the Russian occupation.
The military containment of terrorist groups is important since you can't argue sensibly with the fanatics whatever their political allegiance. But if
this containment is not accompanied by the search of wider political solution than the lives of those killed on Sept.11th and those yet to be killed in the coming coflict would be, in my opinion, tragically wasted.

Regards D.P.</HTML>
Subject Author Posted

A missed occasion???

D.Przezdziecki September 18, 2001 07:01PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login