Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 4, 2024, 3:37 pm UTC    
September 17, 2001 08:43PM
<HTML>Kat,

I remember stories about WWII around the dinner table when I was a kid in England. The overwhelming impression that sunk into me at that time was how the country came together in a time of crisis and supported each other with love.

Since then I have heard many commentaries about how America could not possibly come together like the UK in such a time of crisis. The images that we have been fed are visions of avaricious evil plunderers being the majority who prey on the weak, with no unity or common bond to bind the innocent.

Do these evil plunderers exist? Yes. Did they in WWII? Probably. I didn't hear of them.

What is overwhelmingly inspiring to me is that the prophets of doom when such a crisis hits America have been proven dead wrong! New York City, the very City in which such a disaster has been predicted to rent apart the fabric of civilization, causing mass looting and a wholesale destruction of civilization, has brought out the best of the human spirit in their love and support for each other. Moreover, this unity is spread across the entire country.

I have lived in America for 32 years wondering if the feelings of the sense of community that comes in such a crisis would ever be like the London blitz.

It is a bittersweet day. The stories are heart-rending and important to be told. What stirs the most emotion and tears, is the unabashed love and support that surrounds this horrendous tragedy and the passion for life that sweeps away cynicism, apathy and indifference.

This feeling inspires a need to embrace and protect ones family, community, nation and civilization.

Warm Regards,
Chris</HTML>
Subject Author Posted

A Family Tragedy

Katherine Reece September 17, 2001 11:55AM

Re: A Family Tragedy

Chris Dunn September 17, 2001 08:43PM

Anthony September 17, 2001 08:55PM

Katherine Reece September 17, 2001 09:13PM

Mark Fagan September 18, 2001 02:49AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login