Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 3, 2024, 2:55 pm UTC    
February 27, 2020 10:24AM
While this doesn't qualify as "ancient" history, it is 1326 and a different time entirely from our modern day world.

I've been working on my family genealogy again and trying to decipher what my ancestors were and were not doing during this time since they held manors under Thomas, Earl of Lancaster who was beheaded in 1322. Doing this has led to reading a lot about Edward II since my ancestor (Gilbert de Southworth) received a pardon for being one of the men jeering at him and Isabella from the walls of Pontefract and was sheriff of Lancashire during the 1323-1326 time frame.

SO! Here's the topic! Did Edward II survive past 1326? The story of the red hot poker and the part it played in his death can be discounted entirely I think, but, was he killed by a different method? Did he go on to live in an Italian priory enjoying his days thatching roofs and digging in the soil? Or, did he die in 1326 at the direction of Roger Mortimer? Was it Edward II who came back in 1338 as William the Welshman to visit his son and daughter-in-law?

Kat

Ma'at Moderator Pull Hair Out

Founder and Director of The Hall of Ma'at

Contributing author to Archaeological Fantasies:
How pseudoarchaeology misrepresents the past and misleads the public

"If you panic, you're lost" -- W. T. 'Watertight' Southard
Subject Author Posted

Edward II -- Dead or Alive?

Katherine Reece February 27, 2020 10:24AM

Re: Edward II -- Dead or Alive?

Hermione February 27, 2020 03:03PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login