Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 2, 2024, 7:52 pm UTC    
September 03, 2001 01:39PM
<HTML>Anthony,

With all due respect, before you criticize me and accuse me of ad hominem attacks, please ACTUALLY READ WHAT I WROTE. You quoted me OUT OF CONTEXT, one of the cardinal sins in logical argument, ranking next to the ad hominem as one of the most common fallacies.

You quoted me as saying:

"Mr. West has arrived with an agenda -- namely to sell massive numbers of books and forward his theories, thereby increasing his fame."

This makes me look bad, and unfairly accuses me of denigrating Mr. West. In fact, the full version of what I wrote was:

"Thus, while I may not personally agree, the argument goes that Mr. West has arrived with an agenda -- namely to sell massive numbers of books and forward his theories, thereby increasing his fame."

Please note that I was recapitulating the argument, not stating an assertion.

It is you, Anthony, who is being intellectually dishonest. In proper form you must include elipses when you chop off words to show that there were words left out.

You accused me of having an agenda:

"Your agenda, to debunk the theory by debasing the presenter, is a classic case of an ad hominem attack... put forth by a person with an agenda. Congratulations on being our 'living example' right here on the message board today."

If you had actually taken the time to READ WHAT I WROTE you would see that your reaction was unjustified and wrong. In fact, I merely presented the argument for an agenda because Don had asked about agendas. I take no responsibility for the veracity of the claim. That is why I prefaced it with "I may not personally agree." In fact, I do not know West well enough to evaluate the claim.

Regretfully insulted,

Jason</HTML>
Subject Author Posted

To Anthony on my &quot;Agenda&quot;

Jason September 03, 2001 01:39PM

Hi Jason ... I agree with you !

Don Barone September 03, 2001 01:46PM

Thank you, Don

Jason September 03, 2001 02:05PM

yawning smiley) No what ? yawning smiley) (N/T)

Don Barone September 03, 2001 02:06PM

Re: Hi Jason ... I agree with you !

Katherine Reece September 03, 2001 02:14PM

Apology to Jason

Anthony September 04, 2001 05:56AM

Re: Apology to Jason

Jason September 04, 2001 08:28AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login