Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 6, 2024, 1:57 am UTC    
September 01, 2001 03:05PM
<HTML>Hi Don,

I'm afraid there ain't much *major* cultural connections between the Canary Islands and Norway ... but, Fred Olsen, a man who owns a rather huge amount of ferries in Europe, has established himself on the Canary Islands, especially on the island Gomera, where he owns a big estate. He has also started car ferries between all islands. Between Gomera and Tenerife, and Tenerife and Gran Canaria there are express ferries -- catamarans which take up to 265 cars and 1,000 passengers, and have a speed of almost 50 knots. Fred Olsen was the one that made Thor Heyerdahl aware of them pyramids on Tenerife. And since Heyerdahl was finished in Tucume, Peru he moved to Tenerife and settled there with his new wife ... Geee, he's only 86, so why not get a new wife! winking smiley Heyerdahl then afterward made some pressure on Fred Olsen and together they've founded FRESCO -- some private organization which goal is to emphasize the importance of pre-history. Heyerdahl also got Fred Olsen to finance the whole Ethnographical Park and the restoration of the pyramids at Güimar ...

Other things that the Canaries and Norway have in common .... well, a Norse site have been found on one island down there, but the find is under protection, and I've read it only one place, and right now I'm not sure where, but I gather it was something from Heyerdahl ...

Some also says that the Guanches have blue eyes ... I haven't seen anyone, so I can't really say ... I guess it is a rumour ...

I do see why the Norse eventually chosed Tenerife/Gomera though ... They're grand islands, Tenerife with a rather big mountain spot in the middle, and a bit mysterious ...

yawning smiley) Paul, al-Urman</HTML>
Subject Author Posted

A Heyerdahl quote ... about borders

al-Urman August 31, 2001 03:11PM

Re: A Heyerdahl quote ... about borders

John Wall August 31, 2001 04:33PM

Katherine Reece August 31, 2001 04:56PM

John Wall August 31, 2001 04:58PM

Katherine Reece August 31, 2001 05:00PM

John Wall August 31, 2001 05:13PM

Mikey Brass August 31, 2001 05:18PM

John Wall August 31, 2001 05:22PM

Don Holeman September 01, 2001 12:26AM

al-Urman September 01, 2001 04:39AM

Don Holeman September 01, 2001 11:24AM

Re: Norse ...

al-Urman September 01, 2001 03:05PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login