Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 17, 2024, 7:33 am UTC    
February 29, 2016 09:41AM
I tend to keep an open mind and a firm belief that the absence of evidences is not a negative proof... yet I fnd all such anomalous data to eb fascinating, if only for speculatory discussions.

I am reminded here, of two things. First, the first invention of the bow in Africa that died off, only to be reinvented elsewhere and then catch on... thousands of years later.
I'm also reminded of the fact that in 0 AD, Romans had *working* steam engine prototype toys, but it too never caught on.

The latter is interesting, considering how *few* records of such things exist as it was never mainstream. Couldn't the same be true for using crystal lens' for magnification? Such things could, just as the steam engine, been dismissed as toys and relatively unimportant?

Laptops now, I don't think I even need to go there lol. Telescopes do seem potentially possible.

On a side note, I found a fascinating topic of idscussion about technology and time travel in a book I read recently. It raised a very valid point... Unlike when rifles and horses were introduced and adopted by near stone age civilizations in North America, if you were to introduce a *smart* phone to Charles Babbage (inventor of the first computer), what would he be able to make of it? Especially after the battery died? I agree with the author, it's more likely that the result would be witch trials & burnings than any kind of technological shift ;0
The device itself would quickly be lost in antiquity... not memorialized in numerous artistic renditions.
Subject Author Posted

Ancient Greek telescope?

Allan Shumaker February 07, 2016 12:09PM

Re: Ancient Greek telescope?

Roxana Cooper February 07, 2016 02:00PM

Hans February 08, 2016 01:07AM

Roxana Cooper February 08, 2016 10:30AM

Hans February 08, 2016 12:45PM

Chris Catignani February 21, 2016 09:25PM

sansahansan February 29, 2016 09:41AM

Chris Catignani March 03, 2016 08:18AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login