Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 6, 2024, 8:09 am UTC    
August 26, 2001 09:12AM
<HTML>I think Matthew that you might be mixing two different subjects here. Nobody from "Minimalist" group is denying the existence of David or Salomon as a historical figures. It is the range of their accomplishments which is disputed.
Jerusalem the fabled capital of David was in a X century BC a rather small and insignificant village not very much different from other small villages which seems to comprised the kingdom of Judah. And the argument that something MIGHT have been there but was totally obliterated later does not cut any ice with me. As to this king legendary conquests??? The Kingdom of Judah comprised of about 20 modest
villages peopled by few thousand inhabitants (many of them pastoralists), I for one have problems seeing this tiny kingdom sucesfully taking on the might of prosperous Philistine cities in one grand campaign.
As to Salomon as incredibly wealthy and powerfull??? Dates do not add up Matthew. During the Salomon times Jerusalem and the whole Kingdom of Judah were not that much different from how they were during the David's times. Monumental building works require extensive infrastucture which was simple nonexistend at this time. The structures which used to be associated with Salomon in Jerusalem, Meggido, Hazor and Gezer are now redated to early IX century BC or almost a century after Salomon's death.

Regards D.P.</HTML>
Subject Author Posted

Solomon real or not?

Don Holeman August 26, 2001 03:09AM

Re: Solomon real or not?

Matthew Saxon August 26, 2001 03:57AM

D.Przezdziecki August 26, 2001 09:12AM

John Wall August 26, 2001 05:03AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login