Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

April 30, 2024, 9:07 pm UTC    
Philip Gould
August 17, 2001 04:02PM
<HTML>Once, long ago there was a great and vast river that had to be crossed for animals to seek food. It was on this fine day the Fox had come to the point where it had to cross the river in its travels. As the Fox stood contemplating the best way to cross the river safely, a Scorpion came upon it and began to talk to Fox.

"Fox, as I was walking along the river bank looking for food I noticed a particularly easy place to cross the river, where the water is not so deep, and the river not so swift. As it is, I would like to cross over myself also but as I am so small, it would be impossible. Would you be willing to take me across if I show you this place to cross the river?" asked the Scorpion.

"Why should I take you across? How could I possibly trust you will not sting me on the way across?" replied the Fox.

"Why would I sting you? For if I stung you it would mean you would drown then both of us would die." replied Scorpion.

Fox thought this over for a bit while carefully watching Scorpion with a distrustful eye. Eventually the Fox said, "Show me where the place is and I will take you across."

"First place me on your back and then I will show you, for otherwise you may jump in and leave me behind once I show you." replied the Scorpion.

The Fox thought for a while, and carefully watching Scorpion with a distrustful eye, allowed the Scorpion to climb onto his back. The Scorpion directed the Fox to where the river was not so deep, nor so swift such that it was a safer place to cross over.

As Fox was swimming across the river and had reached the middle of the river Fox felt a sharp stinging sensation on its back and realized it had been stung by Scorpion. The Fox cried out, "How could you sting me we shall both drown now?"

The Scorpion replied apologetically "I'm sorry, it's in my nature".

K.R's

--
Philip Gould
Moderator - Amun@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe amun-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
URL [groups.yahoo.com]
Amun - The Egyptology Information Exchange</HTML>
Subject Author Posted

The Scorpion and the Fox

Philip Gould August 17, 2001 04:02PM

Re: The Scorpion and the Fox

Mikey Brass August 17, 2001 04:27PM

Philip Gould August 18, 2001 04:00AM

Mikey Brass August 18, 2001 04:29AM

Philip Gould August 18, 2001 09:11AM

The modern version of this story

D.Przezdziecki August 17, 2001 08:25PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login