Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 14, 2024, 9:25 am UTC    
July 04, 2006 10:06AM
...I'm not sure they could find any artifacts larger than a bread box.

Now, I realize I'm being unkind and that I'm going on the officially released photos only and my experience in one archaeology class and at one dig. But I only recall one photo of sifting screens at work. On a hillside like that (which has been used for many things), they should be finding all sorts of stuff through various layers of dirt... from modern buttons and tin cans to medieval trash pits to Roman buckles and so forth.

In my tiny experience, EVERY artifact on a multicultural site is important because it helps date the sequence of events; the history of the site.

They've dug up enough terrain that they could date layers of soil and start talking about the sequence of events there, even on a rough scale. Instead, they announce that they've found "no artifacts" (and a report of a skeleton? I hadn't seen that) on a hill that's been occupied for centuries.

That's just not believable. I'll be happy to trot over there with a metal detector and start finding all sorts of artifacts. If someone will fund my trip, I can find a class full of budding archaeologists who would come and do a professional type dig... and I bet Kat would even send me string so we could stake out areas correctly!

(I do remember ONE photo that appeared to be an area where a proper dig (of the sort that my profs would approve of) was taking place. However, that was weeks ago and the more recent photos don't show that kind of approach being done.)
Subject Author Posted

Nancy Gallou's statement

Doug Weller July 02, 2006 05:04AM

Re: Nancy Gallou's statement

Marduk July 02, 2006 03:19PM

Re: Nancy Gallou's statement

Marduk July 03, 2006 02:40PM

*NO* artifacts?

Byrd July 03, 2006 10:13AM

Re: *NO* artifacts?

Roxana Cooper July 03, 2006 11:06AM

Warwick L Nixon July 03, 2006 11:13AM

Lee July 03, 2006 11:24AM

Warwick L Nixon July 03, 2006 11:27AM

Katherine Reece July 03, 2006 11:30AM

Warwick L Nixon July 03, 2006 11:39AM

Ron Zeno July 03, 2006 01:44PM

Doug Weller July 03, 2006 03:23PM

given their displayed methodology...

Byrd July 04, 2006 10:06AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login