Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 16, 2024, 1:25 pm UTC    
April 04, 2006 11:25AM
4 palms of 4 fingers did amount to 16 fingers the last time I checked unless my calculators is bust. And inches were in use or you would not have measuring rods of 4/3rd longer then usual cut into 7 hands of 4 inch instead of 7 palms of 4 fingers. Unless of course you think they had a unit of 5.333' fingers for some obscure reason.

More recently one has come to realize that a number of documents indicate the use of a unit equal to 1 1/3 royal cubit. In my opinion this mysterious unit is a cubit of two hybrid feet, that is, 37 1/3 natural basic fingers, 700 mm. The name of this unit is nb, nebiu, which means “carrying" and indicates that the original unit of length was the carrying yoke; the term for cubit in Semitic languages and in Greek means the arm of the carrying yoke, that is, the half of it. On Egyptian cubit rules, the position of the hybrid foot it indicated by the sign of the forearm rmn; the term means “cubit,” but it corresponds to the idea of “to carry” and it also means “half”, indicating that essentially it signifies the half of the carrying yoke.

My explanation of the unit nebiu is supported by a neglected specimen of the Metropolitan Museum of New York. This object is listed in the catalog as a a cubit of 27½ American inches (698.6 mm). It is a double hybrid foot (rmn) or a “carrying yoke” of 7000 mm. It consists of a simple round rod of plain wood divided by lines cut with a saw into 7 parts; the seventh at the meddle is further divided into two parts, so that the rod is divided at the center in two halves of 3½ sevenths.

Stecchini
[www.metrum.org]

ie 20.625 inches remen royal cubit x 4/3 = 27.5 inches
Subject Author Posted

Thoth part 1 - The origin of Greek Roman Egyptian and Sumerian Measure

Mick April 04, 2006 10:46AM

Re: Thoth part 1 - The origin of Greek Roman Egyptian and Sumerian Measure

Dave L April 04, 2006 11:03AM

Mick April 04, 2006 11:25AM

Dave L April 04, 2006 12:19PM

Mick April 04, 2006 04:42PM

Dave L April 04, 2006 06:16PM

Mick April 05, 2006 05:55AM

Dave L April 05, 2006 06:38AM

Mick April 07, 2006 01:27PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login