Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 6, 2024, 1:50 pm UTC    
August 11, 2001 11:57AM
<HTML>Quoted from the article ...
> Dudzik, the state archaeologist, said he doesn't believe the runestone legend, partly because early Vikings were seafaring people, plundering along coastlines. Why would they abandon that lifestyle to get to the center of a gigantic continent? ...
------------
Well, the pre-inca/inca civilization did master seafaring too, with large balsa rafts, but they did amazing things behind the shores too ... to say that the Vikings were seafaring people, is partly correct, they had a civilization on land too ... the Vikings conquered the rivers as well ... ok, they were good at the water sports, but ... bah!!!

I'm not sure what I do think of the Kensington Stone, since I know to less about it. But, this is a highly interesting article, and I might support the idea that Norse explorers were as far west as Minnesota, and probably further west too. Explorers don't build turfs and such ... But they might've left inscriptions, and in the 1300s there still were a Norse Greenland settlement, and they still were aware of the big land west of 'em. Hey, they had a station as far north as Thule, and whoknowwhere they'd been in a half-millennia ... Hudson Bay, St. Lawrence River, Great Lakes, New England-area (Norumbega, I'm still wondering were this name for the region comes from).

The Norse never ceased to explore, it was in their nature. They've always been doing exploring. You might call it intelligence though, intelligence about their surroundings, and what to gain from it (hence their "privateering"-business ;o)).

<p><b>The Norse never abandoned their way of lifestyle to get to the center of a big continent, it was their lifestyle, period!!<//b>

<p>Yeah, way to go ...

yawning smiley) Paul, al-Urman</HTML>
Subject Author Posted

Second Kensington Runestone found

Katherine Reece August 11, 2001 09:55AM

Re: Second Kensington Runestone found

al-Urman August 11, 2001 11:57AM

Re: carried away ... ;o)

al-Urman August 11, 2001 11:58AM

Re: Second Kensington Runestone found

Katherine Reece August 11, 2001 12:11PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login