Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

May 19, 2024, 8:46 am UTC    
January 31, 2006 09:23PM
I've followed Dr. Silver's posts for years and I tend to agree strongly with him that there were coins in the ancient Levant. For instance in the Amarna letters (among others) Miliklu asks Akhenaten for 2000 shekels of silver. In addition to that he demands that that Miliklu also hand over his wife and sons. Or else he'll kill Miliklu. Anyhow I beleive that Moran considers a "shekel" to be merely a weight and not a coin (again not to be confused with the modern Israeli and ancient israeli "shekel" too). It would be like asking for 2,000 troy ounces of silver or some such measurement. Other Amarna scholars believe that the word "silver" does not mean the metal "silver" but "goods and wares". In addition I've always wondered what the enigmatic "holding a pot in pledge" meant in the Amarna letters. It was clearly some variation of our modern "escrow", but nobody says what kind of pot or what was in the pot that made it such a valuable commodity. Anyhow I think that Dr. Silver is right on the "money" (pun intended) on his thesis and that it deserves the most careful attention.
Subject Author Posted

Did the AEs invent money ?

John Wall January 30, 2006 07:04PM

Re: Did the AEs invent money ?

Rick Baudé January 31, 2006 09:23PM

John Wall February 01, 2006 03:58AM

Mihos February 02, 2006 08:32PM

Rick Baudé February 02, 2006 11:09PM

Mihos February 01, 2006 12:30AM

Rick Baudé February 01, 2006 12:40AM

Don Barone February 02, 2006 09:55PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login