> Khnum, god of creation and growth, a deity with
> whom Khufu was evidently keen on identifying
> himself.
>
> But I don't know of any connection between Khnum
> and Saturn ...

Tetrabiblos by Claudius Ptolemy, accessed from [penelope.uchicago.edu]
Ptolemy, S17

Saturn, in whose nature cold prevails, as opposed to heat, and which occupies the orbit highest and farthest from the luminaries, were assigned the signs opposite Cancer and Leo, namely Capricorn and Aquarius with the additional reason that these signs are cold and wintry, and further that their diametral aspect is not consistent with beneficence.

Whilst this is the traditional astrology and could be informed by Babylonian astronomy, Ptolemy also cites ancient Egyptian sources in the same document. It is interesting to note that Saturn being linked to Capricorn and Aquarius. I recall Aquarius is linked to the water pouring Hapi by the Zodiac of Dendera. However, Khnemu also performed Hapi's function:

Budge
“Khnemu was originally a water or river-god, and that in very early times he was regarded as the god of the Nile and of the annual Nile-flood, and as such he bore the name of QEBH”
Budge Gods of the Egyptians, vol 2, p50

According to Budge, “Kekui represents that period of the night which immediately precedes the day”. Budge further notes that Kekui was at one point considered an Elephantine god identified with Khnemu which came about due to considering Kekui a personification of the Nile god Hapi. Budge also informs us that at Kom Ombo, Sebek (a crocodile god) was a personification of Kekui.

So Saturn is the ruler of Aquarius and Capricorn according to Ptolemy. Aquarius which in turn is associated with Hapi and Hapi is a form of Khnum. The Egyptian Goat or Sheep constellation is also linked by Lull and Belmonte to Capricorn. The Goat being connected to Khnum. Perhaps Khufu wanted to commemorate the power behind Khnum - Saturn?
Subject Author Posted

Great Pyramid link to Saturn?

engbren May 30, 2020 06:23PM

Re: Great Pyramid link to Saturn?

Hermione May 31, 2020 03:45AM

engbren May 31, 2020 06:40AM

Hermione May 31, 2020 10:33AM

engbren June 01, 2020 07:30AM

Hermione June 01, 2020 08:39AM

engbren June 02, 2020 04:22AM

engbren June 05, 2020 07:36PM

On the Apis Bull

engbren July 02, 2020 08:33AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login