> Although forum members couldn’t give me any info
> on the hieroglyph I asked about, I was hoping
> somebody here could tell me more about the picture
> I just posted at this url:
> [postimg.cc]
>
> If I recall correctly, Budge said in one of his
> books it was the lid of Wenis’ sarcophagus. But I
> haven’t been able to find it anywhere on the web.
> Thanks in advance for any info anyone can give me
> on it.
>
> Steve

Okay, I'll try to give a better answer than the last time and not mix up my tekenus with my tekhenus, sorry about that.

So, this image is typical of 18th Dynasty iconography in it's style. The head is not of a god or a king, but of a deceased man, the owner of the tomb in which a copy of the Book of the Dead, containing the full image, has been placed. It is associated with Chapter 17 and represents the "Mound of Abydos", and forms the top part of a depiction of a canopic chest. The missing bottom part of the image should show the main body of the chest with images of the four sons of Horus, who would also flank the chest and mound. In it's entirety it would seem to show the re-birth of the deceased rising from the primordial mound, but this is not certain as it does not fit into the context of the canopic chest and the four sons of Horus. It is suggested that this is a fanciful borrowing from royal "Netherworld Books" and is a case of the deceased commoner "bigging himself up". But no matter what is meant to be depicted happening, the image is certainly 18th Dynasty and beyond.

Image in question is at the top right, and is from the Papyrus of Ani, and while this dates from the 19th Dynasty, the imagery dates from the 18th.
[external-content.duckduckgo.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2021 07:49AM by Corvidius.
Subject Author Posted

Question About An Image

Anonymous User November 01, 2021 10:44AM

Re: Question About An Image

Hermione November 02, 2021 06:25AM

Corvidius November 02, 2021 07:31AM

Anonymous User November 03, 2021 05:16AM

Hermione November 04, 2021 01:19PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login