Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

April 20, 2024, 8:27 am UTC    
May 24, 2021 09:19AM
Hi Kanga ... As far as I know, no ancient pyramid has the interior structure that a tomb had. That is to say that it appears once pyramids started being built all offering sites and rooms or things needed in the afterlife were left OUTSIDE the main pyramidal structure, either in the mortuary temple or the valley temple. From the obvious fullness of the interior of this structure it is highly unlikely that this structure was or was ever going to be a pyramid. This brings us to an interesting point. It is taught that pyramids were an off shoot of mastabas or tombs and that by layering one over the other we got to the point of The Step Pyramid but I am having trouble following the logic involved with this theory. In almost all pyramids the sloping passageway leads to a "tomb room" and all the offerings are made on the outside of the structure. So to me at least it is obvious that the transition from mastaba or tomb to the pyramid was a great deal more complicated and earth shattering a revolution than simply piling layer upon layer. Grant it the underground at Sakkara is about as complicated as it can get and I wonder if anyone has really figured out why such a daunting task was undertaken (seed vault anyone, sorry ) I have only begun to study the early dynasties and have already found several things that don't make sense in the mainstream explanation. From what I have gathered most "royal" tombs, although why these are not assigned to the kings of this era but are given over to important royal subjects mystifies me, were quite elaborate undertakings and could take up to a year to construct. See here: [www.academia.edu].

So now that I am learnign a little bit about the first and second dynasty it becomes even more puzzling how The Step Pyramid, perhaps the most amazing complex in Egypt's history, came out out of these early tombs and mastabas. One thing I do know now though is that the go to explanation of pyramids evolving from tombs and mastabas can go into the trash heap along with The OCT.

best
db

"There is nothing as impenetrable as a closed mind"
and ..." if everything is a coincidence what is the point of studying or measuring or analyzing anything ?" db
Subject Author Posted

Name of stepped mastaba/pyramid tomb?

Hans February 18, 2021 05:29PM

Re: Name of stepped mastaba/pyramid tomb?

Hermione February 19, 2021 04:29AM

Re: Name of stepped mastaba/pyramid tomb?

engbren February 19, 2021 06:13AM

Found it!

Hans February 19, 2021 12:11PM

Re: Found it!

Hermione February 20, 2021 04:42AM

Hans February 20, 2021 11:32AM

waggy February 21, 2021 07:39AM

Hans February 22, 2021 10:10PM

Kanga March 03, 2021 06:44AM

Ahatmose May 23, 2021 05:07PM

Ahatmose May 24, 2021 09:19AM

Ahatmose May 24, 2021 09:36AM

The Subterranean Complex of Senwosret III, at Abydos

Ahatmose May 24, 2021 11:40AM

**Moderation note**

Hermione May 24, 2021 12:21PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login