Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

April 25, 2024, 10:28 am UTC    
August 28, 2020 06:15AM
Another cycle ride to the “Theban Hills” this one in 2003. As usual I crossed the Nile in the early morning by local ferry with my hired bicycle. Again, as usual, I stopped to visit the Colossi of Memnon and also to have a look at an unusual Crocodile Sphinx which had only recently been discovered.

Then I continued to Medinet Habu the Mortuary Temple of Ramesses III. The first structure you encounter is the so-called “High Gate” that was originally reached by a canal that brought vessels inland from the Nile.

One the left before you reach the First Pylon are the Saite chapels of the Divine Adoratrices of Amun which date from much later than the main temple as they are from the 25th and 26th Dynasties.

In front of you is the main temple and it’s impressive First Pylon.

Massive reliefs show Ramesses III smiting his enemies before Amun-Re on the South side and before Amun-Re-Harkhty on the North side of the central entrance.

The whole temple is remarkably well preserved with a lot of original colour surviving.

I then cycled on to the “Valley of the Queens” where, as I expected, only a few tombs were open. The photos are actually a tomb of a Prince and not a Queen. It’s the tomb of Khaemwaset which dates to the time of Ramesses IV. He died very young so he wears the “Side-Lock of Youth”.

Then it’s an easy walk across to the workers village at Deir El-Medina where I left my bike.

After walking the paths between the houses I took the path up to the workers tombs that overlook the village.

Continuing on the path that the workers would have used to get to the Valley of the Kings you get a dramatic view of Deir El-Medina and the Ptolemaic Temple which is on the left of the second photo.

A bit higher up there are also views of the Ramesseum and Medinet Habu with the Nile in the background.

Gradually I approached El-Qurn the natural peak at the back of the Valley.

At the base of the peak there are ancient remains of huts. These are variously described as a “Tomb-workers Way Camp” or “Guard Huts”.

Slightly further on a small path takes you to one of the most isolated tombs in the Valley which is KV39. Once thought to be the tomb of Amenophis I the evidence is still disputed with another tomb also identified as his. I couldn’t get close, safely, and as I wouldn’t like to have an accident in such a remote spot I resisted my usual inclination to scramble about.

Then as you turn a corner the ground drops away and you get a breathtaking view down to the temples of Mentuhotep and Hatshepsut.

By this point as I looked ahead I got occasional views into the Valley of the Kings and I descended almost to the Valley floor.

But my bike was left behind at Dier El-Medina so time to turn around and head back.

By the time I arrived back on the East Bank there was an Egyptian sunset as a perfect finish to my day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2020 09:08AM by Hermione.
Subject Author Posted

Another trip to the Theban Hills

Jon_B August 28, 2020 06:15AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login