Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

April 25, 2024, 9:01 pm UTC    
August 25, 2020 06:23AM
Looking at maps in books and even at Google earth it's difficult to get much idea of how the terrain looks between the main Pyramid sites and how each site looks from the others. This series of photographs, going North to South, is my attempt to clarify things a little bit.

First the view from the site of Djedefre's ruined pyramid at Abu Roash looking towards Giza.

Then the view in the other direction taken from Giza (Djedefre's Pyramid is the small mound on the ridge with a mast, apparently, sticking out of the top). In the foreground are the early excavations for the new Grand Museum. I’m standing near the Western Mastaba field looking North West.

Then the view from Giza to Abu Sir and Saqqara. I'm standing on the Sphinx Causeway. In the distance the Step Pyramid is on the right which is actually further away than the group of Pyramids at Abu Sir to the left.

Then a view from Saqqara towards Dahshur. On the left is the oblong shape of the Mastaba El Faraun and then the Pyramid of Pepi II immediately in front of the Bent Pyramid which is very difficult to see in the haze.

Then the view back to Saqqara from the Mastaba El Faraun.

Then looking the other way towards Dahshur with the Bent and Red Pyramids.

Finally looking back from the elevated position of the entrance to the Red Pyramid towards Saqqara.

I also once took photos from the top of the Layer Pyramid looking towards Giza but Military Policemen arrived and wanted to arrest me for taking photos of the military base at Zawyet El-Aryan which is in between the two. To avoid that I showed them my photos on the camera display and deleted those he objected to which seemed the wisest thing to do.
Subject Author Posted

Abu Roash to Giza to Abu Sir to Saqqara to Dahshur (revised repost)

Jon_B August 25, 2020 06:23AM

Re: Abu Roash to Giza to Abu Sir to Saqqara to Dahshur (revised repost)

Hermione August 25, 2020 11:44AM

Hans August 25, 2020 12:30PM

Hermione August 25, 2020 02:13PM

Hans August 26, 2020 12:10AM

Jon_B August 25, 2020 03:48PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login