Home of the The Hall of Ma'at on the Internet
Home
Discussion Forums
Papers
Authors
Web Links

April 18, 2024, 4:45 am UTC    
May 30, 2021 11:40AM
Yes, that's the solar baboons, and replicated nine times could be seen as suitable for some form of "mass production", but clearly not, hence my mention.

On the scene from KV14 I would not like to say that I see phi, and to be honest it's what the scene shows that is interesting to me, not ratios that may or may not exist. I will comment though that what we see in the layout, not content, is the normal three register way of presenting the story, with the top register fitting neatly into an arch which, though not explicit, and delving into the content, suits the birth of Ra in three successive forms. So to me it's just the standard three register art form with no emphasis on ratios, but on using specific elements to tell the story from bottom to top.

Not come acoss a 21 square grid, and the "Throne of Akhenaten" presumably the gold throne from the tomb of Tutankhamun ?.

I do get what you are saying about columns where there is, between the scenes with the king and gods, a certain amount of "decorative filler", rows of cobras or lotuses for instance, which could be stencilled, and we might do that today, but that would only be to act as the guide for the painters and stonemasons, and no evidence of them using any other technique other than the grid they used on flat walls has been found. I'm sure they had all manner of handy tricks, but without evidence surviving we would need a time machine to see exactly what they were doing.

Looking through the photo tome on Karnak by de Lubicz, it can be seen that each column or wall is unique. Clearly the scenes showing a king and gods will be different on each column or wall, but overall they are different to each other, and in many cases there are designs that interleave with each other in a way that preludes use of a stencil, let alone mass production.

I'm sure you are aware of their love for symmetry, in most cases, and that this will cause us to see patterns that they did not intend, only an aesthetic that plays into their love of duality. Take a standard temple for instance. If you create this series of spaces getting smaller, then you get patterns which can be seen from the plan, and any number of lines and circles drawn, as de Lubicz did at Karnak, but is that what they intended, or were they just creating an ever smaller series of spaces for esoteric/magical reasons of protecting the shrine and creating this tight secret space, an overall design mirrored in the burials of kings with the shrines, sarcophagus and coffins hiding and protecting the king, a god in his shrine just as the statue of a god in the temple shrine. As I say, I'm sure you have gone over this before, but perhaps worth mentioning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2021 12:09PM by Corvidius.
Subject Author Posted

Did The Ancient Egyptians actually carve the columns at Karnak

Ahatmose July 13, 2020 11:57AM

Re: Did The Ancient Egyptians actually carve the columns at Karnak

Hermione July 14, 2020 01:46AM

Ahatmose July 14, 2020 01:34PM

Ahatmose July 14, 2020 09:43PM

Ahatmose July 14, 2020 09:50PM

Ahatmose July 14, 2020 10:53PM

**Moderation request**

Hermione July 15, 2020 02:58AM

Re: Did The Ancient Egyptians actually carve into the stone

Ahatmose March 27, 2021 12:21PM

Byrd March 31, 2021 09:44PM

Ahatmose March 31, 2021 11:20PM

How then to explain this ?

Ahatmose April 12, 2021 08:42AM

Re: How then to explain this ?

Byrd May 03, 2021 01:46PM

Ahatmose May 16, 2021 08:39AM

Hermione May 16, 2021 10:09AM

Ahatmose May 16, 2021 10:31AM

Hermione May 16, 2021 12:44PM

Ahatmose May 16, 2021 12:58PM

Ahatmose May 22, 2021 06:25PM

Ahatmose May 22, 2021 06:28PM

Ahatmose May 22, 2021 07:24PM

Ahatmose May 29, 2021 12:15PM

Corvidius May 29, 2021 03:54PM

Ahatmose May 29, 2021 04:16PM

Corvidius May 30, 2021 03:10AM

Ahatmose May 30, 2021 07:26AM

Corvidius May 30, 2021 11:40AM

Ahatmose May 30, 2021 12:08PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login